Back to Section Home

International Students Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for admission to Butte College as an international student?
You can download your application from the International Student web page. Begin the application process EARLY! We encourage you to complete the application process at least four months prior to the term you would like to start to allow for visa processing. Click here to choose the correct application. 

How do I submit my application documents for review?
You can submit your documents by mail, fax, or email (PDF or JPG). Please see our contact page for details. 


How will I know if my application is received?
You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours (business).


How quickly will I hear if I am admitted?
Once your application is received, it will be reviewed by the admissions technician within 48 hours (business). You will be contacted if documents are missing or if it is complete.


Do you have an application fee?
No, submitting an international application is FREE!


Do you offer conditional admission?
Yes! Please check the conditional requirements application for additional requirements. 


When is the application deadline?
Please review our I am Ready to Apply page for reference.


Is an English proficiency test required for admission?
If English is not your primary language, you will need to demonstrate the ability to speak, read, write, and understand English at a level appropriate for college-level studies. Some exemptions apply, so check our language requirements to see how you can qualify. 


What Majors/Academic Programs of study to you offer?
Please review our list of programs here


How much money should appear on my bank statement?
We require a bank statement or combined bank statement of $18,000 USD. This is the estimated expense of 1 full year (12 months) of study, living and other expenses during your stay. Visit our fees and tuition page.


What documentation do I need to provide if I have a government sponsorship paying for my schooling?
If you are receiving sponsorship you must submit a letter from your government stating the terms of your scholarship.


How will I receive my I-20 and admission letter once I am admitted?
You will have two ways in which your documents can be sent. Go to our forms page to download the necessary documents.

1. Express Shipping – Student's expense (instructions will be sent to you by e-mail)

2. Airmail – Butte's expense but it could take up to 45 days to reach you depending on your location. Fill out the shipping request form here.


How can I track the shipping of my I-20 and admission letter?
There will not be a way to track the documents that are sent by airmail. If you choose the express shipping option you will have access to a tracking number within the account you create.


What is the cost of express shipping?
The cost of express shipping will vary by location. In general it will cost between $40 -$100USD. You can complete an estimate at the University Express Mail Services (UEMS) website. 

Butte College | 3536 Butte Campus Drive, Oroville CA 95965 | General Information (530) 895-2511

Back to Top