Back to Section Home

Exemptions to Testing

To be considered for an exemption from the BSA, please review instructions on how to submit transcripts/test Scores from another institution, please include all required documentation.

Please submit the form well before your orientation/registration. You will not be permitted to enroll in non-exempt courses until the evaluation is complete. Please allow one week for evaluation.

The following conditions will exempt a student from the BSA but may not provide clearance for enrollment into specific English, math or reading classes. Contact the Assessment Office to verify what your course eligibility will be.

  • Degree Holders
    Students who have been awarded an Associate or higher degree. Need to provide verification of degree. Placement levels will be established based on type of degree.
  • Transfer Students - Placement Tests (within the last 5 years)
    Students who have completed placement tests at other colleges in California- please provide documentation of the class placement & raw score at the other college, as well as, the date of the test.
    For students who have completed an out-of-state placement test, we accept the COMPASS or Accuplacer tests from out-of-state institutions.
  • Transfer Students - Completed College Coursework
    Students who have completed college English and math course work with grades of "C" or better. Need to provide transcripts (unofficial is okay) or grade reports. If a freshman composition class has not been completed, the Reading Assessment will need to be taken.
  • SAT / ACT (test scores within the last 5 years)
    Qualifying test scores from the SAT or ACT.






New SAT (3/2016 & After)
Evidence-Based Reading & Writing-EBRW

Old SAT (Prior 3/2016)
Critical Reading




New SAT (3/2016 & After)

Old SAT (Prior 3/2016)



  • Early Assessment Program (EAP) (scores within the last 5 years)
    New as of Fall 2011.  Qualifying English Click here to Navigate to the EAP websitestatus may be used for Reading & English eligibility. Qualifying math status may be used for math eligibility. Submit STAR report for review. Please note: we do not accept 'conditional' readiness.
  • AP/CLEP Exams
    A score of '3' or higher on the AP Language & Composition or Literature & Composition. Advanced Placement (AP)Click here to navigate to CollegeBoard or CLEP can be used to grant college credit for math and English courses (contact the Assessment Office for more information on these exams). Document must be official, sealed, and from the College Board.
  • Exempt Classes Only (no documentation required)
    Students enrolling in only performance classes (e.g., drawing, etc.), activity classes (e.g., P.E., etc.) or other specified classes. Check the list of exempt classes here or contact the Assessment Office (895-2350).
  • One or Two Classes
    Students enrolling in one or two non-exempt classes who do not intend to earn a degree or certificate (only during OPEN REGISTRATION). Assessment is necessary if you plan on enrolling in any reading, English, math or ESL class. Also, prerequisites are still enforced at the time of registration for science courses.

Butte College | 3536 Butte Campus Drive, Oroville CA 95965 | General Information (530) 895-2511

Back to Top